my mom says not to talk on the phone while pumping gas.. she says that i could blow up.. is that true? if so why?
hell no and what do parents know but how to control you and deceive,
I dont know the scientifical explanation to it but ive been told not to do it as well. Im sorry i wish i could tell you more why.
ask your mom. where did she hear such a thing. can be static sparks in dry, cool windy conditions that will ignite gas vapor from tank . nothing to do w/ cell phones.
Yes its very dangerous, when talking your cell phone will put off static electricity which in turn can ignite the gas fumes which are more flammable than the gas itself. Blowing yourself up is a rarity but you can ignite your clothes and the gas which could cause an explosion, either way you would be in serious danger. In this case listen to your mother. Speaking as a 23 year veteran Fire Fighter.
You might get arrested for having an unlawful firearm.
It's a myth. Firefighters blamed a gas fire on a cell phone but later recanted. In the meantime the cell phone has been labeled the bad boy. Read this link: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/05/cell_fires.html
That said, it's not a good idea for people to get in and out of their cars while pumping gas in the winter time. Static electricity can build up the clothing and cause a spark. Doesn't happen often but it's still a good idea to stay with the pump while filling the tank.
OH what difference does it make, you'll never stop yakking on that idiot box no matter what anyone tells ya anyways. What did we do before cell phones........
It isn't dangerous. That's a myth. The TV show Mythbusters covered this in an early episode. They tried pumping an enclosed space full of gasoline fumes and were completely unable to detonate them with a cell phone.
It is a urban myth that cell phones can cause a static electricity spark which is believed by some to be capable of igniting gas vapors, causing a fire and explosion.
According to the mythbusters, and other sources as well, however, it is extremely difficult to ignite gasoline vapors period...let alone accidentally with a cell phone. The gas-air mixture has to be just right and it just rarely happens.